Andrew Watkinson, violin
Ralph de Souza, violin
Garfield Jackson, viola
David Waterman, cello
String Quartet in G major, Op. 64 No. 4
String Quartet No. 5
String Quartet Op. 56, “Voces Intimae”
The Endellion is renowned as one of the finest quartets in the world. Three of its original founding members continue to play in the quartet, now in its 38th season. Ralph de Souza joined them thirty years ago in 1986. In 2013 Gramophone stated 'There’s always a feeling when listening to the Endellion Quartet that you’re listening to the Urtext method of quartet playing. Maybe 35 years of playing together has brought to them as a group a uniformity of thought and instinct that allows them to play as a single entity.'
This evening, they will perform Haydn’s marvellously genial String Quartet in G major; followed by Bartók’s Quartet No. 5, which ranges from the almost barbaric to some of the most yearningly beautiful music ever written. The evening will end with Sibelius’s ‘Voces Intimae’, a work of symphonic sweep unlike any other work in the quartet literature.
• Tickets at $20/$10 from SISTIC (excludes SISTIC fee)
• Tickets sold at all SISTIC outlets; SISTIC hotline: (65) 6348 5555 or http://www.sistic.com.sg
• Ticket sales will start from 7 Jan 2017
• All event information is correct at time of print
• Out of respect for other concert-goers, only children above 6 years of age will be allowed admission.